Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My guiding principles in teaching using technology-
I love teaching science. I don't think it is easy, but I really enjoy it. And ever since I first started, I have tried to use technology in my classroom to enhance my teaching and give students a more realistic view of what the science lab will be like in college or even industry. It hasn't been easy and I've had many setbacks, but overall, I think I've been relatively successful in using technology in my classroom.

That said, I do want to point out that, just like demonstrations, I think technology use just because it's fun or cool is a waste of my time and my students' time. If it doesn't add to their overall science understanding or problem-solving skills, it is a waste of students' time. If it doesn't help me be more efficient in my job, whether it is teaching or administrative tasks, it is a waste of my time. I think each technological opportunity must be carefully evaluated as to whether or not it is really an enhancement for effective teaching or just cool new thing to play with in the classroom.

Of course, the cool new thing in the classroom can become a useful tool with the appropriate training and support.

4 comments:

  1. "Of course, the cool new thing in the classroom can become a useful tool with the appropriate training and support."

    Absolutely, yes! And I don't think demos and using technology b/c it's "cool" is a complete waste of time. Sometimes demos are the way to go- like if you're short on time, worry about the safety of the procedure (but really want the kids to see the outcome), or don't have enough materials. They can be a great attention grabber if used correctly. I think the same about using, rather "trying out" new technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good point there, Carol. What matters most with any technological tool is value addition and a consistency of integration. If teachers use these tools regularly to provide a worthwhile experience, I don't see a reason why student's wouldn't do the same. I believe that technological literacy pertaining to the usage of data loggers and graphing software, among other things, will go a long way in improving college readiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my LabQuests. They are easy to use data loggers and students figure them out quickly, because they are similar to their mp3s and smartphones. Instead of spending so much time trying to read glass thermometers, they can get an instant digital readout and move on. Having the data stored digitally should also be a plus when I can get the netbooks to interact with the LabQuests and we can transfer and graph using Excel or other spreadsheet programs. I think this is so much more realistic and therefore useful for students today.

    My comment on demos is perhaps a bit cynical, but it just makes me crazy to see demos done with no prediction and/or reflection. Even when I explode hydrogen balloons at the beginning of the year, I write the reaction on the board and talk about "making water the fun way". Demos can be fun, but they should be used to connect concepts and not just for the ooh-ahhh factor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your comments on using technology just to use technology because I feel like initially that is what I do. I teach first grade and some of the students in my class have no access to computers at home. It is literally like teaching ABC. I have to teach them how to log on, mouse skills, navigating... etc. I was worried that I was using technology just to use technology. It's a necessary evil I guess.

    ReplyDelete